- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or cooking oil of you
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (or 1 tablespoon curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 3 cups carrots, peeled & diced
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add onions, cook for 3 minutes or until translucent in color. Stir in garlic, ginger, turmeric, curry paste/powder, and brown sugar. Season with kosher salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper to taste. Continue cooking for 2 minutes to toast and bloom the spices.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, and stock and season with kosher salt to taste. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup either with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Return soup to pot. Stir in coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional garnishes include: diced and roasted carrots and sweet potatoes, toasted cashews, cilantro, scallions, peanuts, toasted unsweetened coconut, sesame seeds, mint, yogurt